This article is about two things: having to change ISP and then getting the configuration to work with the new one.
How to lose a customer.
I wrote earlier about wanting to change ISP from Telefonica because as a retail client they were unable to offer me an ADSL connection with an UPLINK speed faster than 320 kb. The downlink speed of 10 Mbs was not the issue. I often work from home and need to transfer files to the office, so the uplink limit really hurt me. If also cause some issues when using VoIP as the uplink would frequently get saturated.
The silly thing is that Telefonica is Spain’s no. 1 incumbent telco and that the technical support people told me that the company DOES have other options, it seems only contractable by businesses. Calling from a residential number it was impossible even to to speak to the business sales people, calls were redirected to the residential sales number where I was offered what I had and told that nothing else existed. So it was not even an issue of price.
That stance has lost Telefonica a customer, and gained Jazztel a new one.
Preparing for the change
So I ordered my line (switchover) and waited for the date of the change. There have been many horror stories about switching phone/ADSL providers in Spain, so I was cautious. Jazztel confirmed the 31/12/2009 and said “downtime” would be a maximum of 6 hours.
Early in the morning on the 31st I noticed the phone line no longer worked. I was surprised to find the existing ADSL line still worked fine. A couple of hours later the router informed me that the ADSL link had gone down, so I made my way to adjust the router’s ADSL configuration.
Jazztel originally sent me a letter with some configuration details and said they would send me an SMS with the information of my new static IP address.
So I adjusted the configuration and a few minutes later the ADSL link was up but not using the static IP address I had expected. I called support and they told me that the configuration was correct and that they could only check if I was using the router which they had supplied. I was using the Draytek Vigor 2820n I had bought previously so had to switch over. When I did so I saw they adjusted the configuration (logging in remotely) and then I noticed that the configuration information they had sent me originally and the SMS I had received gave slightly different accounts to use. I had not noticed this difference and it broke the configuration on the Draytek. Also I’m now using PPPoE and it seems that inspite of providing incorrect credentials the system does not give an error. This would have been much easier to spot had I seen an authentication error.
So now the Draytek is working with the account information adjusted.
So be prepared to check the information you are given and don’t expect the technical support people you talk to to actually check why things don’t work, but to simply press the configure router button on some web page they have, which of course only works on the routers they provide.
Anyway now I’m working at 14 Mbs down and 1.2 Mbs up using Jazztel, compared with 10 MBs down and 320 kb up with Telefonica, so a good start and still the Annex M option to try out to give me an even better uplink speed. Remember this is on the same physical line as before.